Monday, September 26, 2011

About Those Grapes. . .

I was talking with my neighbor the other day and he said he would be picking his grapes soon. He has a nice arbor and wanted to make grape juice out of them. But. . . .the very next day his wife came over and told me I could have them all. Cool! So the not-so-little one and I picked a box full of them and I spent the day/night cooking them down to make juice. I will probably freeze the juice until I have time to make jelly later.


I was going to throw the scraps out to the chickens, but. . . well you know me, couldn't I use them for something?


Smack on the head! What was I thinking!


Vinegar!



Well, I haven't actually tried this before, but, hey, it couldn't hurt to try. Not much on the internet as far as directions go, but I figure it can't be much different than apple cider vinegar.


So, I filled the jars almost full with grape peels, seeds, leftover pulp.


Added sterilized lukewarm water, just to the top of the peels.


Added a tiny, tiny pinch of bread yeast.


Let it sit uncovered for a day, stirring a couple of times to incorporate air.


Covered it with a piece of old t-shirt tied on with a rubberband.


Put it on the counter where I have a warm, dark place.


Now I wait. I think about 8 weeks should be enough time. I might stir it a couple of times, but other than that, I just hope not to forget out it! Update in 8 weeks.


side note: I guess I could have picked out all the grape seeds and then pressed them to make grape seed oil, but. . . . . I found grape seed oil at Wally's World, 24 oz. for $3.69, so I didn't think that picking out all the seeds would have been a good use of my time, would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind and don't shrink my jeans!