Thursday, September 22, 2011

Yellow Mayo

I made mayonnaise this morning with some of the little eggs the new ladies laid this week.I have been letting them graze in the yard as much as possible the past couple of weeks and let me tell you what, those egg yolks are SOOOO orange! So orange, in fact, that the mayonnaise turned yellow. That's no yolk, I mean joke! Maybe I can convince you to try making some, just think of all the preservatives you won't be eating!
Please ignore my messy counter.
I did add some paprika, like I usually do, but. . . .

A store bought, white hamburger bun. . . .

Hamburger bun with homemade mayo. Not convinced?


Store mayo on the right, homemade on the left. Enough said, here is the recipe.

1 whole egg (pastured egg of course!)

1/2 ts. dry mustard

pinch of sea salt

2 TBS white vinegar or lemon juice

dash paprika

1 cup vegetable oil ( or 1/4 cup olive oil and 3/4 cup canola oil)



Add egg, mustard, salt, vinegar, paprika and 1/4 cup oil in blender and blend on medium for 2 minutes.


Scrap down the inside of blender.

Slowly (the slower the better) add/blend the rest of the oil.

That's it.


I usually use lemon juice and no olive oil.


I am impatient and cheat when adding the oil. I use a funnel lined with a coffee filter that I put a very, very tiny pin hole in. I then pour all of the oil in the funnel, set the funnel in the blender lid hole, and let it drip thru the filter while I walk away.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind and don't shrink my jeans!